Soriano Life

Monday, December 21, 2009

An update on Sydney

A lot has gone on with the Soriano's in the last month...

Exactly two weeks ago tomorrow Jason, Sydney, and I experienced the scariest thing yet since she was born. If you have not kept up with us here is a little of what happened on February 25, 2008. Sydney Claire Soriano was born at 11:17 a.m.- Jason and I were so blessed to have such a beautiful little girl. Our family and friends came and visited and shared such wonderful times with us that day. At midnight Sydney started having seizures.

At 8:00 a.m. Sydney had an MRI and MRA where the doctors discovered Sydney had a stroke during delivery in her Left Middle Cerebrum. There was blood getting to that area of her brain but not oxygen. Sydney is missing a mass of tissue right above her left ear. I did not understand. Why my baby? I was so scared!!!

Well Sydney hit all of her milestones on time and impressed all of her doctors. She even was released from her neurologists at 2 months because she was doing so well. We thought we were in the clear...

Tuesday, December 8 was one of the hardest days since February 26, 2008. At 9:20 a.m. I was blow drying my hair, Jason was in the shower, and Sydney was sitting on my bed watching T.V. I could see her the entire time, she was playing with Bully and watching Playhouse Disney. Sydney got down from my bed and came over to me whining so I picked her up. Sydney immediately got really heavy and hot. I felt her forehead and she was really cold and sweaty. I looked at her face and she was pale with blue lips. She looked like she was choking on something without the gagging. I started freaking out which is not what you do so I had to get Jason out of the shower. I called 911 while Jason was tending to Sydney. When I walked back to our room, Jason had her on our bed and her eyes were rolling in the back of her head but she was saying Bully. It was the strangest thing ever. She was out of it(not unconscious) the entire time the paramedics were checking her vitals (which were all perfect). She finally realized what was going on when they put her on the stretcher and were loading her in the back of the ambulance. Our paramedic was so good to her. He let her color on his papers, he gave her a teddy bear, and he made her feel totally comfortable while I was trying to get my composure so she was not scared. Sydney was perfect while we were at the hospital until 11:15 a.m.

At 11:15 Sydney had another episode although Ashley, Brooke, and the E.R. Doctor were all in the room with us as she did it. The Dr. kept saying this is so weird. This is the first time he had ever seen anything like this. After about 5 minutes Sydney was fine again and playing. After many tests run Sydney was admitted into the hospital. When we got up to the Pediatrics Unit Sydney was running a 102.8 temp. She did not act like she felt bad at all though. Her temp was checked every 3 hours throughout the night and finally got back down to 99.2 by Wednesday morning. At 1:30 p.m. Sydney had a 30 minute EEG. She did very well. Her Daddy held her the entire time and let her watch "Go" on his cell phone. AT 6:00 that night our new Neurologist arrived. I like him so much. He was very blunt with us but we finally got some answers!!!

He wanted Sydney to walk to me and was very impressed that she could walk and nevertheless perfectly. He then wanted her to talk, which she wouldn't, but who would after being poked and probed on for the last 36 hours. By the time he left Sydney was talking. He kept telling us we had a miracle baby. He told us she should not be doing any of these things. Once again I was balling. My baby- was she suffering, was she scared, why could mommy and daddy not make all of this go away- that is what we are supposed to be there for- to fix the "boo boo's".

Sydney met with the Neurologists the following Monday and she was talking and playing while he was in the exam room with us. He kept saying how impressed he was with her. He scheduled her for an MRI this past Wednesday and she was perfect the entire time. We have to go back to his office for a 6 hour EEG January 7th, I'm a little nervous about that test though. How do you make a 2 year old sit still for 6 hours? I will keep everyone updated.

We have finally realized why God has given us our "miracle baby". This entire situation has made our marital relationship so strong but also our spiritual relationship. God thank you so much for all you have blessed my life with.

Jason,
Thank you so much for being who you are. You are a strong and loving man that I respect so much. You are the best husband in the entire world. No matter what comes our way you are there and always know exactly what to do. I do not tell you this everyday but thank you so much for everything you have done for our family. I could not be more blessed to have such a loving husband and Sydney has the best father ever. I love you more than you will ever know!!!

No comments: